Rochelle Bagatell, MD
Associate Professor, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Primary Address:
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Division of Oncology, 4022 CTRB
3501 Civic Center Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2012 – present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2008 – 2012)
- M.D., University of Arizona (1993)
- BS, History, Brown University (1987)
I am a pediatric oncologist with expertise in the care of children with solid tumors. I have a particular interest in the treatment of patients with sarcomas and neuroblastoma, and I co-direct Children's Hospital's solid tumor program.
Current treatment regimens are effective for many children diagnosed with solid tumors in childhood, and the collaborative approach taken at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia allows patients to benefit from the expertise of surgeons, pathologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists, nurses, nutritionists and other specialists who work together to provide state-of-the-art care for our patients. Our solid tumor team is committed to optimizing the effectiveness of current therapies while trying to minimize the side effects of treatment.
Our group also is committed to developing new treatments for childhood solid tumors. As a member of the Children's Hospital oncology developmental therapeutics team, I am involved in research studies (clinical trials) of new agents for patients whose cancers don't respond to initial or established treatments. My colleagues and I conduct research trials that provide patients with access to the newest anticancer medications. We study novel treatments that haven't previously been administered to children. These trials permit us to better understand how to use new treatments in the most effective way. We are currently expanding the number of new agent trials available to our patients, and we collaborate with colleagues from around the region and nation in our efforts to advance the field.
While there are tremendous challenges inherent in the pursuit of new treatments, the solid tumor and developmental therapeutics teams have the opportunity to build upon the expertise here to develop newer, less toxic treatments for childhood cancer. My highest priority is to make innovative treatments available to the children who need them.
- Hill-Kayser Christine, Tochner Zelig, Both Stefan, Lustig Robert, Reilly Anne, Balamuth Naomi, Womer Richard, Maris John, Grupp Stephen, Bagatell Rochelle. Proton versus photon radiation therapy for patients with high-risk neuroblastoma: The need for a customized approach.. Pediatric blood & cancer. 2013 Jun.
- Kavcic Marko, Fisher Brian T, Li Yimei, Seif Alix E, Torp Kari, Walker Dana M, Huang Yuan-Shung, Lee Grace E, Tasian Sarah K, Vujkovic Marijana, Bagatell Rochelle, Aplenc Richard. Induction mortality and resource utilization in children treated for acute myeloid leukemia at free-standing pediatric hospitals in the United States.. Cancer. Vol 119(10) . 2013 May:1916-23.
- Macy Margaret E, Duncan Tracey, Whitlock James, Hunger Stephen P, Boklan Jessica, Narendren Aru, Herzog Cynthia, Arceci Robert J, Bagatell Rochelle, Trippett Tanya, Christians Uwe, Rolla Katherine, Ivy S Percy, Gore Lia. A multi-center phase Ib study of oxaliplatin (NSC#266046) in combination with fluorouracil and leucovorin in pediatric patients with advanced solid tumors.. Pediatric blood & cancer. Vol 60(2) . 2013 Feb:230-6.
- Park Julie R, Bagatell Rochelle, Hogarty Michael. Children's Oncology Group's 2013 blueprint for research: Neuroblastoma.. Pediatric blood & cancer. Vol 60(6) . 2012 Dec:985-93.
- Mosse YP, Balis FM, Lim MS, Laliberte J, Voss SD, Fox E, Bagatell R, Weigel B, Adamson PC, Ingle AM, Ahern CH, Blaney S.. Efficacy of Crizotinib in Children with Relapsed/refractory ALK-driven Tumors Including Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma and neuroblastoma: A Children's Oncology Group phase I consortium study.. . American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting, Chicago. 2012 Jun.
- Hill-Kayser CE, Tochner Z, Both S, Lustig R, Reilly A, Balamuth N, Womer R, Maris JM, Grupp SA, Bagatell R.. Double Scatter Proton Therapy (DSPT) versus Intensity Modulated X-Ray Therapy (IMRT) for Patients (pts) with High-Risk Neuroblastoma (HRNB).. Advances in Neuroblastoma Meeting, Toronto CA. 2012 Jun.
- Bagatell R, Norris RE, Ingle AM, Ahern CH, Saggio J, Little A, Weigel B, Blaney S.. Phase I trial of Temsirolimus (TEM), Irinotecan (IRN), and Temozolomide (TMZ) in Children with Refractory Solid Tumors: A Children's Oncology Group Study.. American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting, Chicago. 2012 Jun.
- Norris R, Shusterman S, Gore L, Macy M, Muscal J, Fox E, Mosse Y, Berkowitz N, Buchbinder A, Bagatell R.. Phase I Trial of Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) Conjugated SN38 in Children with Recurrent or Refractory Neuroblastoma (NB) and Other Solid Tumors.. Advances in Neuroblastoma Meeting, Toronto CA. 2012 Jun.
- Park JR, Bagatell R, Berthold F, Brock P, Cohn S, London WB, Pearson A, Siebel N, Matthay KK, Valteau-Couanet D.. Consensus Statement on the Revised International Neuroblastoma Response Criteria.. Advances in Neuroblastoma Meeting, Toronto CA. 2012 Jun.
- Johnson K, Mosse Y, Aplenc R, Bagatell R, Balis F, Minturn J, Norris R, Camburn D, Little A, Philips P, Maris J, Fox E.. Disparities in Accrual to Investigational Agent Protocols Among Pediatric Oncology Patients.. American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Meeting, New Orleans LA. 2012 May.