Peter Mattei, MD, FAAP, FACS
Attending Physician, Division of General, Thoracic and Fetal Surgery
Professor of Surgery, The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Specialties and Services
Surgery (General, Thoracic and Fetal)
King of Prussia
Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, Mass.
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Md.
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
American Board of Surgery/Pediatric Surgery
American Board of Surgery/General Surgery
Minimally invasive surgery
Inflammatory bowel disease
I am an Attending Physician in the Division of General, Thoracic and Fetal Surgery at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Assistant Professor of Surgery at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. As the primary surgical liaison for pediatric surgical oncology, I am a member of CHOP’s Tumor Board and participate in clinical decision-making discussions for many children with pediatric solid tumors being treated or evaluated for a second opinion at CHOP. I have developed special expertise in the surgical treatment of neuroblastoma, Wilms’ tumor, hepatoblastoma, and abdominal and thoracic sarcomas, among other pediatric solid tumors.
One of the things I’m most proud of at CHOP is the partnership between surgeons, oncologists and other specialists through all stages of a child’s cancer treatment. Having a multidisciplinary team of experts in every specialty, working together to develop a complete care plan that takes into consideration all aspects of a child’s treatment and recovery, allows us to best serve the individual patient and ultimately produces better outcomes.
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia has long been a pioneer in pediatric surgery and that continues today. We are at the forefront of many of the newest protocols, including the very exciting field of robotic surgery. I have a particular interest in daVinci robotic-assisted laparoscopy and thoracoscopy, which are minimally invasive and enable unprecedented surgical precision.
In the next decade or so, I envision robot-assisted surgery having huge implications for the extraction of tumors. For example, I foresee a day when we might be able to inject a substance into a patient with cancer that allows us to visualize the tumor, possibly with a display that shows color and makes the tumor stand out from the surrounding normal tissue, then, using this 3D visualization and the superior dexterity the robot allows, being able to actually extract the tumor while preserving normal structures.
Paralleling my excitement about the coming of new technologies and techniques is my commitment to helping kids get better. What gratifies me about this work continues to be the children I treat. They are simply amazing and inspirational – and they get it. They know they have something very serious going on, yet they have this sort of inner calm and appreciation for everything you do for them.
- Adibe O, Nichol PF, Flake AW, Mattei P: Retrospective comparison of outcomes following laparoscopic versus open pyloromyotomy. Presented at the International Pediatric Endosurgery Group annual conference, Venice, Italy, 2005
- Mattei P, von Allmen D, Piccoli D, Rand E: Relief of intractable pruritis in Alagille syndrome by partial external biliary diversion. (Presented at the American Pediatric Surgical Association 36th Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 2005.
- Adibe O, Barnaby K, Dobies J, Comerford M, Drill A, Walker N, Mattei P: Postoperative Antibiotic Therapy for Children with Perforated Appendicitis: Long Course of Intravenous Antibiotics versus Early Conversion to an Oral Regimen, Poster Presentation, Society of Black Academic Surgeons Scientific Symposium April 13-14, 2007.
- Gollomp K, White C, Rankin SC, Mattei P, Harris MC, Kilpatrick L, Sheffler-Collins S, Paul B, McGowan KL, Shah SS. Presented at the Annual meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies, Vancouver, Canada, May 1-4, 2010.
- White CA, Gollomp K, Kilpatrick L, Harris MC, Mattei P, Sheffler-Collins S, Paul B, Rankin S, McGowan K, Shah SS. Pleural fluid cytokine levels in children with complicated pneumonia. Presented at the Annual meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies, Vancouver, Canada, May 1-4, 2010.
- Taheri H, Mattei P. Superior mesenteric artery syndrome following laparoscopic-assisted proctocolectomy and ileal J-pouch-anal anastomosis in a pediatric patient. Poster Presentation, SAGES, Washington, D.C., April, 2010.
Editorials, Chapters and Participation in Committee Reports
- Pegoli W, Jr, Mattei P, Colombani PM: Congenital intrathoracic vascular anomalies in childhood. Chest Surgery Clinics of North America 3(3):529-546, 1993.
- Paidas CN, Mattei P, Schlein CZ, Clemens M: Splanchnic function and heart disease. In Nichols DG, Cameron DA, Greeley WJ, et al (eds).: Critical Heart Disease in Infants and Children. St. Louis: Mosby, pp. 143-155, 1995.
- Mattei P, Sola JE: Gastrointestinal procedures. In Chen H, Sola JE, Lillemoe KD (eds): Manual of Common Bedside Surgical Procedures. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, pp. 131-163, 1996.
- Gingalewski C, Mattei P: Pediatric surgery. In Blackbourne LH, Fleischer KJ (eds): Advanced Surgical Recall. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, pp. 844-891, 1997.
- Mattei P, Stevenson RJ, Ziegler MM: Appendicitis. In Wyllie R and Hyams J (eds): Pediatric Gastrointestinal Disease. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., pp. 466-471, 1999.
- Mattei P: Transfusion medicine and coagulation disorders. In Ziegler MM, Azizkhan RG, and Weber TR (eds): Operative Pediatric Surgery. New York: McGraw-Hill Cos., pp. 153-160, 2003.
- Mattei P: Vascular access. In Mattei P (ed): Surgical Directives: Pediatric Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, pp.55-60, 2003.
- Queenan J and Mattei P: Head trauma. In Mattei P (ed.): Surgical Directives: Pediatric Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, pp.99-102, 2003.
- Mattei P: Torticollis. In Mattei P (ed.): Surgical Directives: Pediatric Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, pp.193-196, 2003.
- Mattei P: Meconium ileus. In Mattei P (ed.): Surgical Directives: Pediatric Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, pp.317-322, 2003.
- Mattei P: Benign skin lesions. In Mattei P (ed.): Surgical Directives: Pediatric Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, pp.671-676, 2003.
- Mattei P: Abdominal pain in Mattei P (ed.): Surgical Directives: Pediatric Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, pp.781-786, 2003.
- Queenan J and Mattei P: Ventricular shunts for hydrocephalus: General surgical issues. In Mattei P (ed.): Surgical Directives: Pediatric Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, pp.793-796, 2003.
- Schwartzentruber DJ, Hostetter RB, Mattei P: Surgery in the setting of hematologic diseases. In Young NS, Gerson SL, and High KA (eds): Clinical Hematology. Philadelphia: Mosby Elsevier, pp. 1179-1188, 2005.
- Mattei P, Rombeau JL: Review of the pathophysiology and management of postoperative ileus. World Journal of Surgery 30(8): 1382-1391, 2006.
- Ryan M, Mattei P, Russo P, Flick J, Mamula P: A 2-year-old girl with chronic and recurrent emesis. Medscape General Medicine 8(1): 10, 2006.
- Mattei P, Allen JL: Treatment of empyema in children: from Hippocrates' time to the present, and back again. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 15;174(2):110-1, 2006.
- Mattei P, Allen JL: Treatment of empyema in children: from Hippocrates’ time to the present, and back again. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 174(2):110-111, 2006.
- Mattei P: Minimally invasive surgery in the diagnosis and treatment of abdominal pain in children. Current Opinion in Peidatrics 19(3): 338-343, 2007.
- Nichol PF, Mattei P: Hernias. In Zaoutis LB, Chiang V (eds): Pediatric Hospital Medicine. Philadelphia: Mosby/Elsevier, pp. 887-891, 2007.
- Mattei P, von Allmen D: Treatment modalities: Surgery. In Brodeur GM, Manno CS (eds): Hematology/Oncology: Requisites in Pediatrics. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2007.
- Mattei P: Hirschsprung disease. In Liacouras C, Piccoli D (eds): Pediatric Gastroenter-ology: The Requisites in Pediatrics. Philadelphia: Elsevier, pp. 114-122, 2008.
- Mattei P, Rombeau JL: Surgical Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. In Mamula P, Markowitz JE, Baldassano RN (eds): Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease. New York: Springer, pp. 469-483, 2008.
- Swami S, Mattei P, Shah SS: Complicated Pneumonia. In Shah SS (ed.): Infectious Diseases New York: McGraw-Hill Medical, pp. 310-320.
- Mattei P: Surgical Site Infections. In Shah SS (ed.): Infectious Diseases New York: McGraw-Hill Medical, pp. 738-750.
- Mattei P (ed.): Surgical Directives: Pediatric Surgery. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2003, 847 pages.
- Mattei P (ed.): Fundamentals of Pediatric Surgery, 2nd Edition, Springer, New York, (in press, 2010).
- "Living With IBD: What Patients and Families Should Know" DVD produced by The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Primitive Worlds Productions, 2007.
- “Therapeutic Options in Alagille Syndrome” DVD produced by The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Primitive Worlds Productions, 2008.