Bruce R. Pawel, MD
- Primary Address:
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Cardiovascular Medicine Division
3400 Spruce St.
9018 Gates Pavilion
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- (215) 662-2285
Director, Noninvasive Imaging
CVI Program Unit(s):
Cardiovascular Development / Congenital Heart Disease
Biotechnology / Nanomedicine / Imaging
CVI Research Description:
My longstanding interests is in using cardiovascular imaging to investigate left ventricular remodeling. This has involved using Doppler echocardiography in large clinical trials accessing the efficacy of pharmaceutical interventions (ACE inhibitors and beta blockers post infarction) and the role of devices including epicardial and endocardial restraint. More recently I am studying the role of cardiac resynchronization and reverse remodeling with advanced heart failure (MIRACLE, MIRACLE ICD, BLOCK-HF and REVERSE Trials).
I also direct the quantitative echocardiographic core laboratory in a number of additional clinical trials that have involved quantitative imaging.
Dr. Fisher is interested in the management of brain tumors and tumors related to neurofibromatosis type 1 and in new imaging modalities for evaluation of plexiform neurofibromas and brain tumors.
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2012 – present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2003 – 2012)
- John W. Bryfogle Professor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1993 – present)
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1980 – 1984)
- M.D., Harvard Medical School (cum Laude) (1994)
- FRCP, Royal College of Physicians, London, UK (1993)
- FESC, Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (1991)
- B.A., Psychology, Summa cum Laude, Amherst College (1989)
- FACC, American College of Cardiology (1984)
- MRCP, Royal College of Physicians, London, UK (1973)
- MBBS, Guys Hospital Medical School, London, UK (1970)
- BSc, Guys Hospital Medical School, London, UK (1967)
- Hwang EI, Jakacki RI, Fisher MJ, Kilburn LB, Horn M, Vezina G, Rood BR, Packer RJ. Long-term efficacy and toxicity of bevacizumab-based therapy in children with recurrent low-grade gliomas. Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2013 September.
- Avery RA, Ferner RE, Listernick R, Fisher MJ, Gutmann DH, Liu GT.. Visual Acuity in Children with Low Grade Gliomas of the Visual Pathway: Implications for Patient Care and Clinical Research. Journal Neurooncology. Vol 110(1-7) . 2012.
- Lang SS, Beslow LA, Gabel B, Judkins AR, Fisher MJ, Sutton LN, Storm PB, Heuer GG. Surgical Treatment of Brain Tumors in Infants Less than 6 months of Age and Literature Review. World Neurosurgery. Vol 78(1-2) . 2012:137-44.
- Campen CJ, Kranick SM, Kasner SE, Kessler SK, Zimmerman RA, Lustig L, Phillips PC, Storm PB, Smith SE, Ichord R, Fisher MJ. Cranial Irradiation Increases Risk of Stroke in Pediatric Brain Tumor Survivors. Stroke. Vol 43. 2012:3035-3040.
- Johnson KJ, Fisher MJ, Listernick RL, North KN, Schorry EK, Viskochil D, Weinstein M, Rubin JB, Gutmann DH. Parent of Origin and Sex Effects in Children with NF1 and Optic Gliomas.. Familial Cancer. Vol 11(4) . 2012:653-6.
- Fisher MJ, Loguidice M, Gutmann DH, Listernick R, Ferner RE, Ullrich NJ, Packer RJ, Tabori U, Hoffman RO, Ardern-Holmes SL, Hummel TR, Hargrave DR, Bouffet E, Charrow J, Bilaniuk LT, Balcer LJ, Liu GT.. Visual Outcomes in Children with Neurofibromatosis Type 1 Associated Optic Pathway Glioma Following Chemotherapy: A Multi-center Retrospective Analysis. Neuro-Oncology. Vol 14(6) . 2012:790-797.
- Avery RA, Liu GT, Fisher MJ, Quinn GE, Belasco JB, Phillips PC, Maguire MG, Balcer LJ.. Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thickness in Children with Optic Pathway Gliomas.. American Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol 151. 2011:542-549.
- Palmer Shawna L, Hassall Tim, Evankovich Karen, Mabbott Donald J, Bonner Melanie, Deluca Cinzia, Cohn Richard, Fisher Michael J, Morris E Brannon, Broniscer Alberto, Gajjar Amar. Neurocognitive outcome 12 months following cerebellar mutism syndrome in pediatric patients with medulloblastoma.. Neuro-Oncology. 2010 Aug.
- Packer Roger J, Jakacki Regina, Horn Marianna, Rood Brian, Vezina Gilbert, MacDonald Tobey, Fisher Michael J, Cohen Bruce. Objective response of multiply recurrent low-grade gliomas to bevacizumab and irinotecan.. Pediatric Blood & Cancer. Vol 52(7) . 2009 Jul:791-5.
- Chi Susan N, Zimmerman Mary Ann, Yao Xiaopan, Cohen Kenneth J, Burger Peter, Biegel Jaclyn A, Rorke-Adams Lucy B, Fisher Michael J, Janss Anna, Mazewski Claire, Goldman Stewart, Manley Peter E, Bowers Daniel C, Bendel Anne, Rubin Joshua, Turner Christopher D, Marcus Karen J, Goumnerova Liliana, Ullrich Nicole J, Kieran Mark W. Intensive multimodality treatment for children with newly diagnosed CNS atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor.. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Vol 27(3) . 2009 Jan:385-9.