Bruce R. Pawel, MD
- Primary Address:
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Cardiovascular Medicine Division
3400 Spruce St.
9018 Gates Pavilion
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- (215) 662-2285
Director, Noninvasive Imaging
CVI Program Unit(s):
Cardiovascular Development / Congenital Heart Disease
Biotechnology / Nanomedicine / Imaging
CVI Research Description:
My longstanding interests is in using cardiovascular imaging to investigate left ventricular remodeling. This has involved using Doppler echocardiography in large clinical trials accessing the efficacy of pharmaceutical interventions (ACE inhibitors and beta blockers post infarction) and the role of devices including epicardial and endocardial restraint. More recently I am studying the role of cardiac resynchronization and reverse remodeling with advanced heart failure (MIRACLE, MIRACLE ICD, BLOCK-HF and REVERSE Trials).
I also direct the quantitative echocardiographic core laboratory in a number of additional clinical trials that have involved quantitative imaging.
Dr. Fisher is interested in the management of brain tumors and tumors related to neurofibromatosis type 1 and in new imaging modalities for evaluation of plexiform neurofibromas and brain tumors.
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2012 – present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2003 – 2012)
- John W. Bryfogle Professor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1993 – present)
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1980 – 1984)
- M.D., Harvard Medical School (cum Laude) (1994)
- FRCP, Royal College of Physicians, London, UK (1993)
- FESC, Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (1991)
- B.A., Psychology, Summa cum Laude, Amherst College (1989)
- FACC, American College of Cardiology (1984)
- MRCP, Royal College of Physicians, London, UK (1973)
- MBBS, Guys Hospital Medical School, London, UK (1970)
- BSc, Guys Hospital Medical School, London, UK (1967)
- Hwang EI, Jakacki RI, Fisher MJ, Kilburn LB, Horn M, Vezina G, Rood BR, Packer RJ. Long-term efficacy and toxicity of bevacizumab-based therapy in children with recurrent low-grade gliomas. Pediatric Blood & Cancer. Vol 60(5) . 2013 September:776-782.
- de Blank PMK, Berman JI, Liu GT, Roberts TP, Fisher MJ. Fractional Anisotropy of the Optic Radiations is Associated with Visual Acuity Loss in Optic Pathway Gliomas of Neurofibromatosis Type 1.. Neuro-Oncol. Vol 15(8) . 2013 August:1088-95.
- Scott JR, Courter JD, Saldaņa SN, Widemann BC, Fisher M, Weiss B, Perentesis J, Vinks AA. Population Pharmacokinetics of Sirolimus in Pediatric Patients With Neurofibromatosis Type 1.. Ther Drug Monit. Vol 35(3) . 2013 June:332-337.
- Plotkin SR, Blakeley JO, Dombi E, Fisher MJ, Hanemann CO, Walsh KS, Wolters PL, Widemann BC. Achieving Consensus for Clinical Trials: the Response Evaluation in Neurofibromatosis and Schwannomatosis (REiNS) International Collaboration.. Neurology. In Press.
- Liu GT, Katowitz JA, Rorke-Adams LB, Fisher MJ. Optic Pathway Gliomas: Neoplasms, not Hamartomas.. JAMA Ophthalmology. Vol 131(5) . 2013:646-650.
- Fisher MJ, Avery RA, Allen JC, Ardern-Holmes SL, Bilaniuk LT, Ferner RE, Gutmann DH, Listernick R, Martin S, Ullrich NJ, Liu GT, for the REiNS International Collaboration. Functional outcome measures for NF1-Associated Optic Pathway Glioma Clinical Trials.. Neurology. In Press.
- Widemann BC, Blakeley JO, Dombi E, Fisher MJ, Hanemann CO, Walsh KS, Wolters PL, Plotkin SR. Future Directions for the REiNS International Consortium.. Neurology. In Press.
- Dombi E, Ardern-Holmes SL, Babovic-Vuksanovic D, Barker FG, Connor S, Evans DG, Fisher MJ, Goutagny S, Harris GJ, Jaramillo D, Karajannis MA, Korf BR, Mautner V, Plotkin SR, Poussaint TY, Robertson K, Shih C-S, Widemann BC, for the REiNS International Collaboration. Recommendations for Imaging Tumor Response in Neurofibromatosis Clinical Trials.. Neurology. In Press.
- Kranick SM, Campen CJ, Kasner SE, Kessler SK, Zimmerman RA, Lustig RA, Phillips PC, Beslow LA, Ichord R, Fisher MJ. Headache as a Risk Factor for Neurovascular Events in Pediatric Brain Tumor Patients. Neurology. Vol 80(16) . 2013:1452-1456.
- Avery RA, Ferner RE, Listernick R, Fisher MJ, Gutmann DH, Liu GT.. Visual Acuity in Children with Low Grade Gliomas of the Visual Pathway: Implications for Patient Care and Clinical Research. Journal Neurooncology. Vol 110. 2012:1-7.