Chief, Developmental Therapeutics
Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2010 – present)
- MS, Clinical Research, Duke University College of Medicine Durham, NC (2006)
- MD, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine Hershey, PA (1993)
- BS, Laboratory Sciences, Northeastern University, College of Pharmacy & Allied Health, Boston, MA (1988)
Specialties and Services
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Duke University College of Medicine
Strong Memorial Hospital, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
Strong Memorial Hospital, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
Pediatric Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
- Kim Aerang, Dombi Eva, Tepas Kathleen, Fox Elizabeth, Martin Staci, Wolters Pamela, Balis Frank M, Jayaprakash Nalini, Turkbey Baris, Muradyan Naira, Choyke Peter L, Reddy Alyssa, Korf Bruce, Widemann Brigitte C. Phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of sorafenib in children with neurofibromatosis type I and plexiform neurofibromas.. Pediatric blood & cancer. Vol 60(3) . 2013 Mar:396-401.
- Mossé Yael P, Lipsitz Emily, Fox Elizabeth, Teachey David T, Maris John M, Weigel Brenda, Adamson Peter C, Ingle Mark A, Ahern Charlotte H, Blaney Susan M. Pediatric phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of MLN8237, an investigational oral selective small-molecule inhibitor of Aurora kinase A: a Children's Oncology Group Phase I Consortium study.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. Vol 18(21) . 2012 Nov:6058-64.
- Chuk Meredith K, Aikin Alberta, Whitcomb Trish, Widemann Brigitte C, Zannikos Peter, Bayever Eliel, Balis Frank M, Fox Elizabeth. A phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of a 24-hour infusion of trabectedin (Yondelis®, ET-743) in children and adolescents with relapsed or refractory solid tumors.. Pediatric blood & cancer. Vol 59(5) . 2012 Nov:865-9.
- Widemann Brigitte C, Kim Aerang, Fox Elizabeth, Baruchel Sylvain, Adamson Peter C, Ingle Ashish M, Glade Bender Julia, Burke Michael, Weigel Brenda, Stempak Diana, Balis Frank M, Blaney Susan M. A phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of sorafenib in children with refractory solid tumors or leukemias: a Children's Oncology Group Phase I Consortium report.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. Vol 18(21) . 2012 Nov:6011-22.
- Kim AeRang, McCully Cindy, Cruz Rafael, Cole Diane E, Fox Elizabeth, Balis Frank M, Widemann Brigitte C. The plasma and cerebrospinal fluid pharmacokinetics of sorafenib after intravenous administration in non-human primates.. Investigational new drugs. Vol 30(2) . 2012 Apr:524-8.
- Lodish Maya, Dagalakis Urania, Chen Clara C, Sinaii Ninet, Whitcomb Patricia, Aikin Alberta, Dombi Eva, Marcus Leigh, Widemann Brigitte, Fox Elizabeth, Chuk Meredith, Balis Frank, Wells Samuel, Stratakis Constantine A. (111)In-octreotide scintigraphy for identification of metastatic medullary thyroid carcinoma in children and adolescents.. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. Vol 97(2) . 2012 Feb:E207-12.
- Marcus Leigh, Murphy Robert, Fox Elizabeth, McCully Cynthia, Cruz Raphael, Warren Katherine E, Meyer Thorsten, McNiff Edward, Balis Frank M, Widemann Brigitte C. The plasma and cerebrospinal fluid pharmacokinetics of the platinum analog satraplatin after intravenous administration in non-human primates.. Cancer chemotherapy and pharmacology. Vol 69(1) . 2012 Jan:247-52.
- Balis FM, Fox E.. Challenges of developing new drug for childhood cancer. Clin Invst. Vol 2(3) . 2012:291-300.
- Fox E, Patel S, Wathen JK, Schuetze S, Chawla S, Harmon D, Reinke D, Chugh R, Benjamin RS, Helman LJ.. Phase II study of sequential gemcitabine followed by docetaxel for recurrent Ewing sarcoma, osteosarcoma, or unresectable or locally recurrent chondrosarcoma: results of Sarcoma Alliance for Research Through Collaboration Study 003.. Oncologist. Vol 17(3) . 2012:321.
- Mosse Y, Balis FM, Lim MS, Laliberte J, Voss S, Fox E, Bagatell R, Weigel B, Adamson PC, Ingle AM, Ahern CH, Blaney S.. Efficacy of crizotinib in children with relapsed/refractory ALK-driven tumors including anaplastic large cell lymphoma and neuroblastoma: A Children's Oncology Group phase I consortium study.. American Society of Clinical Oncology, Chicago, IL. 2012.
Bagatell R, Herzog C, Trippett T, Grippo J, Cirrincione-Dall G, Fox E, Macy M, Bish J, Whitcomb P, Aikin A, Wright G, Yurasov S, Balis F, Gore L. Pharmacokinetically guided phase I trial of the IGF-1 Receptor Antagonist RG1507 in children with recurrent or refractory solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res 17(3): 691-9, 2011.
Kim A, McCully CL, Crus R, Cole DE, Fox E, Balis F, Widemann BC. The plasma and cerebrospinal fluid pharmacokinetics of sorafenib after intravenous administration in non-human primates. Investigational New Drugs Nov 12 [EPUB ahead of print] 2010.
Lipsitz E, Moorthy G, Mosse Y, Fox E, Adamson, PC. A sensitive and selective liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry method for determination of MLN8237 in human plasma. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 878 (25): 2369-73, 2010.
Fox, E, Aplenc R, Chuk, M, Widemann, BC, Bagatell, R, Goodspeed, W, Goodwin, A, Kromplewski, M, Jayaprakash, N, Brown, K, Marotti, Adamson, PC, Balis, FM. Phase 1 Trial and Pharmacokinetic Study of Cediranib, an orally bioavailable PAN-VEGF- Receptor Inhibitor in Children and Adolescents with Refractory Solid Tumors. J Clin Oncol 28(35): 5174-81, 2010.
Chuk, MK, Cole D, McCully CL, Loktionova N, Pegg A, Pauly, G, Collins, J, Balis, FM, Fox, E Plasma and CNS pharmacokinetics of O4-benzylfolic acid (O4BF) and metabolite in a non-human primate model Cancer Chemotherapy Pharmacology (in press, 2010)
Widemann, BC, Arceci, RJ, Jayaprakash, N, Fox, E, Zannikos, P, Goodspeed, W, Goodwin, A, Wright, JJ, Blaney SM, Adamson, PC, Balis, FM. Phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of the farnesyl transferase inhibitor tipifarnib in children and adolescents with refractory leukemia: A report from the Childrenâ€™s Oncology Group. Pediatric Blood & Cancer 56(2) 226-33, 2010.
Fox E, Jayaprakash N, Pham T-H, Rowley A, McCully C, Pucino F, Goldbach-Mansky R. The serum and cerebrospinal fluid pharmacokinetics of anakinra after intravenous administration to non-human primates. J Neuroimmunology, 223:138-40, 2010.
Meany H, Balis FM, Aikin A, Whitcomb P, Murphy R, Steinberg S, Widemann B, Fox E. Pediatric Phase I Trial Design Using Maximum Target Inhibition as the Primary Endpoint. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 102(12): 909-12, 2010.
Widemann, BC, Balis, FM, Kim, A, Boron, M, Jayaprakash, N, Shalabi, A, Oâ€™Brien, M, Eby, E, Cole, DC, Murphy, RF, Fox, E, Ivy, P, Adamson, PC. Glucarpidase, leucovorin, and thymidine for high-dose methotrexate induced renal dysfunction: clinical and pharmacologic factors impacting outcome. J Clin Oncol 28(25): 3579-86, 2010.
Paoloni, M, Mazcko, C, Fox, E, Fan, T, Lana, S, Kisseberth, W, Vail, D, Nuckolls, K, Osborne, T, Yalkowsky, S, Gustafson, D, Yu, Y, Cao, L, Khanna, C. Rapamycin Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Relationships in Osteosarcoma: A Comparitive Oncology Study in Dogs. PLoS One 5(6):e11013, 2010.
Fox E, Maris, JM, Cohn, JM, Goodspeed, W, Goodwin, A, Kromplewski, M, Medina, D, Xiong, X, Krivoshik, A, Widemann, BC, Adamson, PC, Balis, FM. Pharmacokinetics of orally administered ABT-751 in children with neuroblastoma and other solid tumors. Cancer Chemotherapy & Pharmacology 66:737-43, 2010.
Jacobs, S, Fox, E, Krailo, MD, Hartley, G., Navid, F., Wexler, L., Blaney, SM., Balis, FM., Adamson, PC, Widemann, BC. Phase II trial of ixabepilone (BMS-247550) in children and young adults with refractory solid tumors: A report from the Childrenâ€™s Oncology Group. Clin Cancer Research 16(2):750-4, 2010.
Meany HJ, Sackett Dl, Maris, JM, Ward Y, Krivoshik,A, Cohn, SL, Steinberg, S, Balis FM, Fox E. Clinical Outcome in children with recurrent neuroblastoma treated with ABT-751 and effect of ABT-751 on proliferation of neuroblastoma ell lines and tubulin polymerization in vitro. Pediatric Blood & Cancer 54(1) 47-54, 2010.
Fox E, Widemann BC, Hawkins DS, Jayaprakash N, Dagher R, Aikin AA, Bernstein D, Long L, Mackall C, Helman LJ, Steinberg S, Balis FM. Randomized trials and pharmacokinetic study of pegfilgrastim vs. filgrastim after dose intensive chemotherapy in children and young adults with newly diagnosed sarcomas. Clin Cancer Res 15(23), 7361-7, 2009.
Kim A, Gillespie, A, Dombi, E, Fox, E, Balis, FM, Widemann, BC. Characteristics of children enrolled on treatment trials for NF-1 related plexiform neurofibromas. Neurology 73(16):1273-9, 2009.
Meany HJ, Warren KE, Fox E, Cole DE, Aikin A, Balis FM. Pharmacokinetics of temozolomide administered in combination with O6-benzylguanine in children and adolescents with refractory solid tumors. Cancer Chemotherapy & Pharmacology 65(1): 137-42, 2009.
Jacobs SS, McCully CL, Bacher J, Balis FM, Fox E Extracellular fluid concentrations of platinum analogs in brain, muscle and blood using microdialysis in a nonhuman primate model Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 65(5) 817-24, 2010.
Widemann, BC, Goodspeed, W, Goodwin, A, Fojo, T, Balis, FM, Fox, E. Phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of ixabepilone administered daily for five days in children and adolescents with refractory solid tumors. J Clin Oncol 27(4) 550-6, 2009.
Kim, A, Fox, E, Warren, K, Blaney, S, Berg, S, Adamson, P, Libucha, M, Byrley, E, Balis, F, Widemann, BC. Characteristics and outcome of patients enrolled on phase I trials. Oncologist 13:679-89, 2008.
Fox E, Maris JM, Widemann BC, Goodspeed W, Goodwin A, Kromplewski M, Fouts ME, Medina D, Cohn SL, Krivoshik AP, Hagey AE, Adamson PC, Balis FM. A Phase 1 Study of ABT-751, an Orally Bioavailable Tubulin Inhibitor, Administered Daily for 21 Days every 28 Days in Pediatric Patients with Solid Tumors. Clinical Cancer Research 2008 14(4):1111-1115, 2008
Fox E, Razzouk BI, Widemann BC, Xiao S, Oâ€™Brien M, Goodspeed W, Reaman GH, Blaney S, Murgo AJ, Balis FM, Adamson PC. Phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of arsenic trioxide in children and adolescents with refractory or relapsed acute leukemia including acute promyelocytic leukemia or lymphoma. Blood 111:566-573, 2008.
Meany, H, Fox, E, McCully, C, Tucker, C, Balis, FM. The plasma and cerebrospinal fluid pharmacokinetics of erlotinib and its active metabolite (OSI-420) after intravenous administration of erlotinib in non-human primates. Cancer Chemotherapy & Pharmacology 62(3): 387-92, 2008.
Bernardi RJ, Bomgaars L, Fox E, Balis FM, Egorin MJ, Lagattuta TF, Aikin A, Whitcomb P, Renbarger J, Leiberman FS, Berg SL, Blaney SM. Phase I clinical trial of intrathecal gemcitabine in patients with neoplastic meningitis. Cancer Chemotherapy & Pharmacology 62(2):355-61,2008.