Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Department: Pediatrics
- Division: Oncology
- Primary Address:
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
3400 Civic Center Blvd
4th Floor Wood Bldg.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2007 – present)
- Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2004 – 2007)
- Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2000 – 2004)
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1990 – 1995)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1984 – 1990)
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1981 – 1983)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1980 – 1981)
- M.D., Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA (1973)
- --, Dept of Pharmacology, Candidate for Ph.D., Temple University, Philadelphia PA (1970)
- BA, Rosemont College, Rosemont , PA (1968)
Specialties and Services
Temple University School of Medicine (MD), Philadelphia, Pa.
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, Pa.
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa.
American Board of Pediatrics
American Board of Pediatrics/Hematology/Oncology
Investigational therapies for progressive cancer
Supportive care, palliative care and home care
Neuro-oncology and neurofibromatosis
Neuro-Oncology brain tumors
Neuro-fibromatosis and NF related tumors
Investigational therapies for refractory brain tumors and for progressive, severe plexiform neurofibromas
- Belasco J B, Bryan J H, McMillan C W. Acute promyelocytic leukemia presenting as a pelvic mass. Medical and Pediatric Oncology. Vol 4(4) . 1978:289-95.
- Belasco J B, McMillan C W. Occult neuroblastoma: difficulties of diagnosis. American Journal of Diseases of Children. Vol 133(8) . 1979 Aug:858-60.
- Meadows AT, Krejmas NL, Belasco JB. The medical cost of cure: Sequelae Conference "Status of the Curability of Childhood Cancers.". MD Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute. 1980.
- D'Angio GJ, Belasco JB. Achievements, challenges and prospects for the 1980's. Cancer. Grune and Stratton, Inc., NY; 1981:191-201.
- Belasco J, D'Angio G J. Wilms' tumor.. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. Vol 31(5) . 1981 Sep-Oct:258-70.
- Gutierrez M L, Evans A, Rohrbaugh T, Belasco J, Lee F H, Crooke S T. Phase II evaluation of mitomycin C (MMC) in children with refractory solid tumors using the single high-intermittent-dose schedule. Medical and Pediatric Oncology. Vol 9(4) . 1981:405-7.
- Belasco J B, Meadows A T, Chatten J, Borden S, Schnaufer L. Extraskeletal osteogenic sarcoma after treatment for Wilms' tumor.. Cancer. Vol 50(9) . 1982 Nov:1894-8.
- Belasco JB, Chatten J, D'Angio GJ. Wilms' Tumor. Clinical Pediatric Oncology. (3) . 1982.
- Smoger BR, Rosenberg HK, Koss J, Raney R, Belasco J, Lange BJ, Arger P. The search for pulmonary metastases in pediatric patients: CT vs. conventional radiology. Annals Radiol. Vol 25(1) . 1982 Jan:47-53.
- Belasco J, Watts H.. Osteosarcoma of the proximal humerus. Med Pediatr Oncol.. Vol 11(1) . 1983:46-8.
- Packer R J, Grossman R I, Belasco J B. High dose systemic methotrexate-associated acute neurologic dysfunction. Medical and Pediatric Oncology. Vol 11(3) . 1983:159-61.
- Cannizzaro L A, Nowell P C, Belasco J B, Croce C M, Emanuel B S. The breakpoint in 22q11 in a case of Ph-positive acute lymphocytic leukemia interrupts the immunoglobulin light chain gene cluster. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics. Vol 18(2) . 1985 Oct:173-7.
- Ettinger L J, Siegel S E, Belasco J B, Evans A E, Ruccione K S, Jamin D C, Rohrbaugh T M, Higgins G R. Phase I clinical evaluation of diaziquone in childhood cancer.. Cancer treatment reports. Vol 69(3) . 1985 Mar:323-7.
- Greenbaum-Lefkoe B, Rosenstock J G, Belasco J B, Rohrbaugh T M, Meadows A T. Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion. A complication of high-dose intravenous melphalan.. Cancer. Vol 55(1) . 1985 Jan:44-6.
- Mitchell C D, Belasco J B, Ellis R. Osteogenic sarcoma. Medical and Pediatric Oncology. Vol 13(3) . 1985:129-32.
- Zimm S, Ettinger LJ, Holcenberg JS, Kamen BA, Vietti TJ, Belasco J, Cogliano-Shutta N, Balis F, Lavi LE, Collins JM, et al.. Phase I and clinical pharmacological study of mercaptopurine administered as a prolonged intravenous infusion.. Cancer Research. Vol 45(4) . 1985 Apr.
- D'Angio GJ, Duckett JW, Belasco JB. Upper urinary tract. Clinical Pediatric Urology. WB Saunders, Philadelphi; 1985:1157-1188.
- Mitchell CD, Belasco JB, Ellis R. Rib sarcoma with multiple bone metastases. Proceedings of the Tumor Board of The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Med Ped Oncol. Vol 13. 1985:298-300.
- Lewis DW, Packer RJ, Raney B, Rak IW, Belasco J, Lange B.. Incidence, presentation and outcome of spinal cord compression in children with systemic cancer. Pediatrics. Vol 78(3) . 1986 Sep:438-43.
- Link M P, Goorin A M, Miser A W, Green A A, Pratt C B, Belasco J B, Pritchard J, Malpas J S, Baker A R, Kirkpatrick J A. The effect of adjuvant chemotherapy on relapse-free survival in patients with osteosarcoma of the extremity. The New England Journal of Medicine. Vol 314(25) . 1986 Jun:1600-6.
- Belasco J B, Mitchell C D, Rohrbaugh T, Rosenstock J. IV melphalan in children.. Cancer treatment reports. Vol 71(12) . 1987 Dec:1277-8.
- Miser JS, Kinsella TJ, Triche TJ, Steis R, Tsokos M, Wesley R, Horvath K, Belasco J, Longo DL, Glatstein E, et al.. Treatment of peripheral neuroepithelioma in children and young adults. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Vol 5(11) . 1987 Nov:1752-8.
- Balis FM, Patel R, Luks E, Doherty KM, Holcenberg JS, Tan C, Reaman GH, Belasco J, Ettinger LJ, Zimm S, et al.. Pediatric phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of trimetrexate. Cancer Research. Vol 47(18) . 1987 Sep:4973-6.
- Miser JS, Kinsella TJ, Triche TJ, Tsokos M, Forquer R, Wesley R, Horvath K, Belasco J, Longo DL, Steis R, et al.. Preliminary results of treatment of Ewing's sarcoma of bone in children and young adults: six months of intensive combined modality therapy without maintenance. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Vol 6(3) . 1988 Mar:484-90.
- Link MP, Shuster JJ, Goorin AM, Miser A, Meyer WH, Kingston JE, Belasco J, Baker AR, Ayala AG, Vietti T. Adjuvant chemotherapy in the treatment of osteosarcoma: Results of the multi-institutional osteosarcoma study. Recent Concepts in Sarcoma Treatments. 1988:283-290.
- Biegel J A, Belasco J B, Emanuel B S. A unique chromosome translocation, t(7;15), in a pediatric patient with pre-B-cell lymphoma presenting as a primary tumor of bone.. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics. Vol 36(2) . 1988 Dec:211-5.
- Belasco J B, Luery N, Scher C. Multiagent chemotherapy in relapsed acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children.. Cancer. Vol 66(12) . 1990 Dec:2492-7.
- Burk C D, Belasco J B, O'Neill J A, Lange B. Pulmonary metastases and bone sarcomas. Surgical removal of lesions appearing after adjuvant chemotherapy.. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. (262) . 1991 Jan:88-92.
- Belasco J B, Rate W, Mancini A, Paolucci G, Frezza G, Rosito P, Vecchi V, D'Angio G J. Intermittent low-dose central nervous system radiation for high-risk pediatric leukemia patients: preliminary results. Medical and Pediatric Oncology. Vol 19(2) . 1991:106-9.
- Link MP, Goorin AM, Horowitz M, Meyer WH, Belasco J, Baker A, Ayala A, Shuster J.. Adjuvant chemotherapy of high-grade osteosarcoma of the extremity. Updated results of the Multi-Institutional Osteosarcoma Study. Clin Orthop Relat Res.. (270) . 1991 Sep:8-14.
- Bunin N, Nowell P C, Belasco J, Shah N, Willoughby M, Farber P A, Lange B. Chromosome 7 abnormalities in children with Down syndrome and preleukemia. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics. Vol 54(1) . 1991 Jul:119-26.
- Belasco JBB. Bone Tumors. Practical Pediatric Oncology. 1992:326-330.
- Meadows AT, Belasco JB, Sinniah D:. Acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Practical Pediatric Oncology.. E Arnold, London; 1992:235-244.
- Belasco JB, Sinniah D, Meadows AT. Acute lymphoblastic leukemia.. Practical Pediatric Oncology. 1992:246-251.
- Horowitz ME, Kinsella TJ, Wexler LH, Belasco J, Triche T, Tsokos M, Steinberg SM, McClure L, Longo DL, Steis RG, et al.. Total-body irradiation and autologous bone marrow transplant in the treatment of high-risk Ewing's sarcoma and rhabdomyosarcoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Vol 11(10) . 1993 Oct:1911-8.
- Adamson PC, Balis FM, Belasco JE, Lange B, Berg SL, Blaney SM, Craig C, Poplack DG.. A phase I trial of amifostine (WR-2721) and melphalan in children with refractory cancer. Cancer Research. Vol 55(18) . 1995 Sep:4069-72.
- Belasco, J.. Images of Home Care. An Instructional Video in Pediatric Home Care and Palliative Care. 1996.
- Meek RS, Belasco JB, Noll, RB. Terminal care for Children with Cancer. Supportive Care of children with Cancer. (2) . Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore; 1997.
- Needle M N, Molloy P T, Geyer J R, Herman-Liu A, Belasco J B, Goldwein J W, Sutton L, Phillips P C. Phase II study of daily oral etoposide in children with recurrent brain tumors and other solid tumors. Medical and Pediatric Oncology. Vol 29(1) . 1997 Jul:28-32.
- Bertsch H, Rudoler S, Needle M N, Malloy P, Sutton L, Belasco J, Meadows A, Goldwein J. Emergent/urgent therapeutic irradiation in pediatric oncology: patterns of presentation, treatment, and outcome. Medical and Pediatric Oncology. Vol 30(2) . 1998 Feb:101-5.
- Finn L S, Viswanatha D S, Belasco J B, Snyder H, Huebner D, Sorbara L, Raffeld M, Jaffe E S, Salhany K E. Primary follicular lymphoma of the testis in childhood.. Cancer. Vol 85(7) . 1999 Apr:1626-35.
- Belasco J B, Danz P, Drill A, Schmid W, Burkey E. Supportive care: palliative care in children, adolescents, and young adults--model of care, interventions, and cost of care: a retrospective review.. Journal of palliative care. Vol 16(4) . 2000:39-46.
- Leahey A M, Bunin N J, Belasco J B, Meek R, Scher C, Lange B J. Novel multiagent chemotherapy for bone marrow relapse of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Medical and Pediatric Oncology. Vol 34(5) . 2000 May:313-8.
- Belasco J B, Goldwein J W, Simms S, Griffin G, D'Angio G, Lange B. Hypofractionated moderate dose radiation, intrathecal chemotherapy, and repetitive reinduction/reconsolidation systemic therapy for central nervous system relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children. Medical and Pediatric Oncology. Vol 34(2) . 2000 Feb:125-31.
- Anbari K K, Ierardi-Curto L A, Silber J S, Asada N, Spinner N, Zackai E H, Belasco J, Morrissette J D, Dormans J P. Two primary osteosarcomas in a patient with Rothmund-Thomson syndrome.. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. (378) . 2000 Sep:213-23.
- Himelstein BP, Belasco JB. Pain Management at Home. Guidelines for Pediatric Home Health Care. American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, Il; 2002:158-171.
- Belasco Jean Bello. In memoriam 2001.. Journal of palliative medicine. Vol 5(5) . 2002 Oct:747-50.
- Bucci Mary Kara, Maity Amit, Janss Anna J, Belasco Jean B, Fisher Michael J, Tochner Zelig A, Rorke Lucy, Sutton Leslie N, Phillips Peter C, Shu Hui-Kuo G. Near complete surgical resection predicts a favorable outcome in pediatric patients with nonbrainstem, malignant gliomas: results from a single center in the magnetic resonance imaging era.. Cancer. Vol 101(4) . 2004 Aug:817-24.
- Maity Amit, Shu Hui-Kuo G, Janss Anna, Belasco Jean B, Rorke Lucy, Phillips Peter C, Sutton Leslie N, Goldwein Joel W. Craniospinal radiation in the treatment of biopsy-proven intracranial germinomas: twenty-five years' experience in a single center.. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics. Vol 58(4) . 2004 Mar:1165-70.
- Stripp Diana C H, Maity Amit, Janss Anna J, Belasco Jean B, Tochner Zelig A, Goldwein Joel W, Moshang Thomas, Rorke Lucy B, Phillips Peter C, Sutton Leslie N, Shu Hui-Kuo G. Surgery with or without radiation therapy in the management of craniopharyngiomas in children and young adults.. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics. Vol 58(3) . 2004 Mar:714-20.
- Liu Grant T, Brodsky Michael C, Phillips Peter C, Belasco Jean, Janss Anna, Golden Jeffrey C, Bilaniuk Larissa L, Burson G Timothy, Duhaime Ann-Christine, Sutton Leslie N. Optic radiation involvement in optic pathway gliomas in neurofibromatosis.. American Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol 137(3) . 2004 Mar:407-14.
- Bluebond-Langner M, DeCicco A, Belasco J. Involving Children in Decision About Research and Treatment for Life Shortening Illness: a Proposal for Shuttle Diplomacy and Negotiation. Learning from Cases: Ethics and Research with Children. Oxford University Press, NY; 2005:323-343.
- Wise Jeffrey B, Cryer Jonathan E, Belasco Jean B, Jacobs Ian, Elden Lisa. Management of head and neck plexiform neurofibromas in pediatric patients with neurofibromatosis type 1.. Archives of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery. Vol 131(8) . 2005 Aug:712-8.
- Edlow Brian L, Burnett Mark G, Belasco Jean, Marcotte Paul J, D'Angio Giulio, Furth Emma E. Recurring polysomatic hemangiomatosis: a new syndrome?. Journal of pediatric hematology/oncology. Vol 28(7) . 2006 Jul:471-5.
- Dombi E, Solomon J, Gillespie AJ, Fox E, Balis FM, Patronas N, Korf BR, Babovic-Vuksanovic D, Packer RJ, Belasco J, Goldman S, Jakacki R, Kieran M, Steinberg SM, Widemann BC.. NF1 plexiform neurofibroma growth rate by volumetric MRI: relationship to age and body weight. Neurology. Vol 68(9) . 2007 Feb:643-7.
- Zacharoulis S, Levy A, Chi SN, Gardner S, Rosenblum M, Miller DC, Dunkel I, Diez B, Sposto R, Ji L, Asgharzadeh S, Hukin J, Belasco J, Dubowy R, Kellie S, Termuhlen A, Finlay J.. Outcome for young children newly diagnosed with ependymoma, treated with intensive induction chemotherapy followed by myeloablative chemotherapy and autologous stem cell rescue. Pediatric Blood Cancer. Vol 49(1) . 2007 Jul:34-40.
- Kieran Mark W, Packer Roger J, Onar Arzu, Blaney Susan M, Phillips Peter, Pollack Ian F, Geyer J Russell, Gururangan Sri, Banerjee Anu, Goldman Stewart, Turner Christopher D, Belasco Jean B, Broniscer Alberto, Zhu Yali, Frank Emily, Kirschmeier Paul, Statkevich Paul, Yver Antoine, Boyett James M, Kun Larry E. Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of the oral farnesyltransferase inhibitor lonafarnib administered twice daily to pediatric patients with advanced central nervous system tumors using a modified continuous reassessment method: a Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium Study. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Vol 25(21) . 2007 Jul:3137-43.
- Shu Hui-Kuo G, Sall Walter F, Maity Amit, Tochner Zelig A, Janss Anna J, Belasco Jean B, Rorke-Adams Lucy B, Phillips Peter C, Sutton Leslie N, Fisher Michael J. Childhood intracranial ependymoma: twenty-year experience from a single institution.. Cancer. Vol 110(2) . 2007 Jul:432-41.
- Bluebond-Langner Myra, Belasco Jean Bello, Goldman Ann, Belasco Carmen. Understanding parents' approaches to care and treatment of children with cancer when standard therapy has failed. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Vol 25(17) . 2007 Jun:2414-9.
- Orsey Andrea D, Belasco Jean B, Ellenberg Jonas H, Schmitz Kathryn H, Feudtner Chris. Variation in receipt of opioids by pediatric oncology patients who died in children's hospitals.. Pediatric blood & cancer. Vol 52(7) . 2009 Jul:761-6.
- Bluebond-Langner Myra, Belasco Jean Bello, DeMesquita Wander Marla. "I want to live, until I don't want to live anymore": involving children with life-threatening and life-shortening illnesses in decision making about care and treatment.. The Nursing Clinics of North America. Vol 45(3) . 2010 Sep:329-43.
- Heuer Gregory G, Kiefer Heather, Judkins Alexander R, Belasco Jean, Biegel Jaclyn A, Jackson Eric M, Cohen Marc, O'Malley Bert W, Storm Phillip B. Surgical treatment of a clival-C2 atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor.. Journal of neurosurgery. Pediatrics. Vol 5(1) . 2010 Jan:75-9.
- McLaughlin Eamon J, Heuer Gregory G, Whitmore Robert G, Birknes John K, Belasco Jean, Sterman Daniel, Low David W, Storm Phillip B. Treatment of a malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor and its complications through a multidisciplinary approach.. Journal of neurosurgery. Pediatrics. Vol 7(5) . 2011 May:543-8.
- Avery Robert A, Liu Grant T, Fisher Michael J, Quinn Graham E, Belasco Jean B, Phillips Peter C, Maguire Maureen G, Balcer Laura J. Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thickness in Children with Optic Pathway Gliomas. American Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol 151(3) . 2011 Jan:542-9.e2.
- Minturn Jane E, Janss Anna J, Fisher Paul G, Allen Jeffrey C, Patti Ratnakar, Phillips Peter C, Belasco Jean B. A phase II study of metronomic oral topotecan for recurrent childhood brain tumors. Pediatric Blood & Cancer. Vol 56(1) . 2011 Jan:39-44.