Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Department: Pediatrics
- Division: Oncology
- Primary Address:
Rm 4307 Chop
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2007 – present)
- Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2004 – 2007)
- Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2000 – 2004)
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1990 – 1995)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1984 – 1990)
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1981 – 1983)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1980 – 1981)
Specialties and Services
Temple University School of Medicine (MD), Philadelphia, Pa.
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, Pa.
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa.
American Board of Pediatrics
American Board of Pediatrics/Hematology/Oncology
Investigational therapies for progressive cancer
Supportive care, palliative care and home care
Neuro-oncology and neurofibromatosis
Neuro-Oncology brain tumors
Neuro-fibromatosis and NF related tumors
Investigational therapies for refractory brain tumors and for progressive, severe plexiform neurofibromas
- Belasco J B, Bryan J H, McMillan C W. Acute promyelocytic leukemia presenting as a pelvic mass.. Medical and pediatric oncology. Vol 4(4) . 1978:289-95.
- Belasco J B, McMillan C W. Occult neuroblastoma: difficulties of diagnosis.. American journal of diseases of children (1960). Vol 133(8) . 1979 Aug:858-60.
- Belasco J B, Meadows A T, Chatten J, Borden S, Schnaufer L. Extraskeletal osteogenic sarcoma after treatment for Wilms' tumor.. Cancer. Vol 50(9) . 1982 Nov:1894-8.
- Packer R J, Grossman R I, Belasco J B. High dose systemic methotrexate-associated acute neurologic dysfunction.. Medical and pediatric oncology. Vol 11(3) . 1983:159-61.
- Cannizzaro L A, Nowell P C, Belasco J B, Croce C M, Emanuel B S. The breakpoint in 22q11 in a case of Ph-positive acute lymphocytic leukemia interrupts the immunoglobulin light chain gene cluster.. Cancer genetics and cytogenetics. Vol 18(2) . 1985 Oct:173-7.
- Ettinger L J, Siegel S E, Belasco J B, Evans A E, Ruccione K S, Jamin D C, Rohrbaugh T M, Higgins G R. Phase I clinical evaluation of diaziquone in childhood cancer.. Cancer treatment reports. Vol 69(3) . 1985 Mar:323-7.
- Greenbaum-Lefkoe B, Rosenstock J G, Belasco J B, Rohrbaugh T M, Meadows A T. Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion. A complication of high-dose intravenous melphalan.. Cancer. Vol 55(1) . 1985 Jan:44-6.
- Mitchell C D, Belasco J B, Ellis R. Osteogenic sarcoma.. Medical and pediatric oncology. Vol 13(3) . 1985:129-32.
- Link M P, Goorin A M, Miser A W, Green A A, Pratt C B, Belasco J B, Pritchard J, Malpas J S, Baker A R, Kirkpatrick J A. The effect of adjuvant chemotherapy on relapse-free survival in patients with osteosarcoma of the extremity.. The New England journal of medicine. Vol 314(25) . 1986 Jun:1600-6.
- Belasco J B, Mitchell C D, Rohrbaugh T, Rosenstock J. IV melphalan in children.. Cancer treatment reports. Vol 71(12) . 1987 Dec:1277-8.
- Biegel J A, Belasco J B, Emanuel B S. A unique chromosome translocation, t(7;15), in a pediatric patient with pre-B-cell lymphoma presenting as a primary tumor of bone.. Cancer genetics and cytogenetics. Vol 36(2) . 1988 Dec:211-5.
- Belasco J B, Luery N, Scher C. Multiagent chemotherapy in relapsed acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children.. Cancer. Vol 66(12) . 1990 Dec:2492-7.
- Burk C D, Belasco J B, O'Neill J A, Lange B. Pulmonary metastases and bone sarcomas. Surgical removal of lesions appearing after adjuvant chemotherapy.. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. (262) . 1991 Jan:88-92.
- Belasco J B, Rate W, Mancini A, Paolucci G, Frezza G, Rosito P, Vecchi V, D'Angio G J. Intermittent low-dose central nervous system radiation for high-risk pediatric leukemia patients: preliminary results.. Medical and pediatric oncology. Vol 19(2) . 1991:106-9.
- Needle M N, Molloy P T, Geyer J R, Herman-Liu A, Belasco J B, Goldwein J W, Sutton L, Phillips P C. Phase II study of daily oral etoposide in children with recurrent brain tumors and other solid tumors.. Medical and pediatric oncology. Vol 29(1) . 1997 Jul:28-32.
- Finn L S, Viswanatha D S, Belasco J B, Snyder H, Huebner D, Sorbara L, Raffeld M, Jaffe E S, Salhany K E. Primary follicular lymphoma of the testis in childhood.. Cancer. Vol 85(7) . 1999 Apr:1626-35.
- Belasco J B, Danz P, Drill A, Schmid W, Burkey E. Supportive care: palliative care in children, adolescents, and young adults--model of care, interventions, and cost of care: a retrospective review.. Journal of palliative care. Vol 16(4) . 2000:39-46.
- Leahey A M, Bunin N J, Belasco J B, Meek R, Scher C, Lange B J. Novel multiagent chemotherapy for bone marrow relapse of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia.. Medical and pediatric oncology. Vol 34(5) . 2000 May:313-8.
- Belasco J B, Goldwein J W, Simms S, Griffin G, D'Angio G, Lange B. Hypofractionated moderate dose radiation, intrathecal chemotherapy, and repetitive reinduction/reconsolidation systemic therapy for central nervous system relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children.. Medical and pediatric oncology. Vol 34(2) . 2000 Feb:125-31.
- Belasco Jean Bello. In memoriam 2001.. Journal of palliative medicine. Vol 5(5) . 2002 Oct:747-50.
- Bucci Mary Kara, Maity Amit, Janss Anna J, Belasco Jean B, Fisher Michael J, Tochner Zelig A, Rorke Lucy, Sutton Leslie N, Phillips Peter C, Shu Hui-Kuo G. Near complete surgical resection predicts a favorable outcome in pediatric patients with nonbrainstem, malignant gliomas: results from a single center in the magnetic resonance imaging era.. Cancer. Vol 101(4) . 2004 Aug:817-24.
- Maity Amit, Shu Hui-Kuo G, Janss Anna, Belasco Jean B, Rorke Lucy, Phillips Peter C, Sutton Leslie N, Goldwein Joel W. Craniospinal radiation in the treatment of biopsy-proven intracranial germinomas: twenty-five years' experience in a single center.. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics. Vol 58(4) . 2004 Mar:1165-70.
- Stripp Diana C H, Maity Amit, Janss Anna J, Belasco Jean B, Tochner Zelig A, Goldwein Joel W, Moshang Thomas, Rorke Lucy B, Phillips Peter C, Sutton Leslie N, Shu Hui-Kuo G. Surgery with or without radiation therapy in the management of craniopharyngiomas in children and young adults.. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics. Vol 58(3) . 2004 Mar:714-20.
- Wise Jeffrey B, Cryer Jonathan E, Belasco Jean B, Jacobs Ian, Elden Lisa. Management of head and neck plexiform neurofibromas in pediatric patients with neurofibromatosis type 1.. Archives of otolaryngology--head & neck surgery. Vol 131(8) . 2005 Aug:712-8.
- Kieran Mark W, Packer Roger J, Onar Arzu, Blaney Susan M, Phillips Peter, Pollack Ian F, Geyer J Russell, Gururangan Sri, Banerjee Anu, Goldman Stewart, Turner Christopher D, Belasco Jean B, Broniscer Alberto, Zhu Yali, Frank Emily, Kirschmeier Paul, Statkevich Paul, Yver Antoine, Boyett James M, Kun Larry E. Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of the oral farnesyltransferase inhibitor lonafarnib administered twice daily to pediatric patients with advanced central nervous system tumors using a modified continuous reassessment method: a Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium Study.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Vol 25(21) . 2007 Jul:3137-43.
- Shu Hui-Kuo G, Sall Walter F, Maity Amit, Tochner Zelig A, Janss Anna J, Belasco Jean B, Rorke-Adams Lucy B, Phillips Peter C, Sutton Leslie N, Fisher Michael J. Childhood intracranial ependymoma: twenty-year experience from a single institution.. Cancer. Vol 110(2) . 2007 Jul:432-41.
- Bluebond-Langner Myra, Belasco Jean Bello, Goldman Ann, Belasco Carmen. Understanding parents' approaches to care and treatment of children with cancer when standard therapy has failed.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Vol 25(17) . 2007 Jun:2414-9.
- Orsey Andrea D, Belasco Jean B, Ellenberg Jonas H, Schmitz Kathryn H, Feudtner Chris. Variation in receipt of opioids by pediatric oncology patients who died in children's hospitals.. Pediatric blood & cancer. Vol 52(7) . 2009 Jul:761-6.
- Bluebond-Langner Myra, Belasco Jean Bello, DeMesquita Wander Marla. "I want to live, until I don't want to live anymore": involving children with life-threatening and life-shortening illnesses in decision making about care and treatment.. The Nursing clinics of North America. Vol 45(3) . 2010 Sep:329-43.
- Avery Robert A, Liu Grant T, Fisher Michael J, Quinn Graham E, Belasco Jean B, Phillips Peter C, Maguire Maureen G, Balcer Laura J. Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thickness in Children with Optic Pathway Gliomas.. American journal of ophthalmology. Vol 151(3) . 2011 Jan:542-9.e2.
- Minturn Jane E, Janss Anna J, Fisher Paul G, Allen Jeffrey C, Patti Ratnakar, Phillips Peter C, Belasco Jean B. A phase II study of metronomic oral topotecan for recurrent childhood brain tumors.. Pediatric blood & cancer. Vol 56(1) . 2011 Jan:39-44.