Director, Cancer Survivorship Program
Associate Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
AddressThe Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Room 10307 Colket Translational Research Building 3501 Civic Center Boulevard
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2010– present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2001 – 2010)
- M.D., Cornell University Medical College (1992)
- B.S., Biology, Cornell University (1988)
As a pediatric oncologist, I'm interested in improving the lives of patients who are pediatric cancer survivors. Caring for this wonderful group of patients means being challenged by them to improve their quality of life, especially the long-term consequences of their cancer treatment.
To help us do so, we have developed the nation's most comprehensive multidisciplinary clinic for children and teens who have successfully survived cancer but who have complications from their treatment. Our groundbreaking Cancer Survivorship Program now serves as a national and international model of care for other institutions. The cancer recovery team members — doctors, nurses and psychologists — provide expert care to survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer who are experiencing or may be at risk for late effects of cancer treatment.
I'm particularly interested in fertility preservation. It's very difficult to inform a cancer survivor about the likelihood of infertility. It's often very distressing to them, especially if there was something at diagnosis they could have done to help avoid infertility. We want to prevent this up front as often as possible, which is why our team is devoted to offering fertility preservation options to newly diagnosed patients.
I'm pleased to note the team was recognized as a Center of Excellence by the Fertile Hope Foundation. Fertile Hope is an organization dedicated to providing support to cancer patients and survivors whose medical treatments present the risk of infertility. Children's Hospital, the only pediatric institute with fertility preservation options beyond sperm banking, is the first pediatric institution to be honored with this distinction.
Our patients benefit from a combination of superb clinical care and the research advances that we're able to apply to patient care. My team and I understand that our most important research questions come from our patients and our clinical practice. As we continue to care for our patients, we are challenged by them to improve their quality of life by strengthening and broadening our research initiatives.
- Hobbie Wendy L, Moab Sogol Mostoufi-, Carlson Claire A, Gruccio Denise, Ginsberg Jill P. Prevalence of advanced bone age in a cohort of patients who received cis-retinoic acid for high-risk neuroblastoma.. Pediatr Blood Cancer. Vol 56(3) . 2011 Mar:474-6.
- Ginsberg Jill P, Goodman Pamela, Leisenring Wendy, Ness Kirsten K, Meyers Paul A, Wolden Suzanne L, Smith Stephanie M, Stovall Marilyn, Hammond Sue, Robison Leslie L, Oeffinger Kevin C. Long-term survivors of childhood Ewing sarcoma: report from the childhood cancer survivor study.. J Natl Cancer Inst. Vol 102(16) . 2010 Aug:1272-83.
- Hobbie Wendy L, Ogle Susan K, Reilly Maureen, Ginsberg Jill P, Rourke Mary, Ratcliffe Sarah, Deatrick Janet A. Identifying the educational needs of parents at the completion of their child's cancer therapy.. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. Vol 27(4) . 2010 Jul-Aug:190-5.
- Schwartz Lisa A, Mao Jun J, Derosa Branlyn W, Ginsberg Jill P, Hobbie Wendy L, Carlson Claire A, Mougianis Ifigenia D, Ogle Sue K, Kazak Anne E. Self-reported health problems of young adults in clinical settings: survivors of childhood cancer and healthy controls.. J Am Board Fam Pract. Vol 23(3) . 2010 May-Jun:306-14.
- Kazak Anne E, Derosa Branlyn Werba, Schwartz Lisa A, Hobbie Wendy, Carlson Claire, Ittenbach Richard F, Mao Jun J, Ginsberg Jill P. Psychological outcomes and health beliefs in adolescent and young adult survivors of childhood cancer and controls.. J Clin Oncol. Vol 28(12) . 2010 Apr:2002-7.
- Ginsberg Jill P, Aplenc Richard, McDonough Joseph, Bethel James, Doyle John, Weiner Daniel J. Pre-transplant lung function is predictive of survival following pediatric bone marrow transplantation.. Pediatr Blood Cancer. Vol 54(3) . 2010 Mar:454-60.
- Ginsberg J P, Carlson C A, Lin K, Hobbie W L, Wigo E, Wu X, Brinster R L, Kolon T F. An experimental protocol for fertility preservation in prepubertal boys recently diagnosed with cancer: a report of acceptability and safety.. Hum Reprod. Vol 25(1) . 2010 Jan:37-41.
- Sepe Dana M, Ginsberg Jill P, Balis Frank M. Dexrazoxane as a cardioprotectant in children receiving anthracyclines.. Oncologist. Vol 15(11) . 2010:1220-6.
- Wu Xin, Schmidt Jonathan A, Avarbock Mary R, Tobias John W, Carlson Claire A, Kolon Thomas F, Ginsberg Jill P, Brinster Ralph L. Prepubertal human spermatogonia and mouse gonocytes share conserved gene expression of germline stem cell regulatory molecules.. Proc Natl Acad Sci. Vol 106(51) . 2009 Dec:21672-7.
- Fish Jonathan D, Ginsberg Jill P. Health insurance for survivors of childhood cancer: a pre-existing problem.. Pediatr Blood Cancer. Vol 53(6) . 2009 Dec:928-30.