Assistant Professor, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Department: Pediatrics
- Division: Oncology
- Primary Address:
Colket Translational Research Building
3501 Civic Center Blvd, Suite 3054
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Secondary Address:
34th & Civic Ctr
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Identification of therapeutic targets in pediatric cancer.
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2009 – present)
- MD, University of Maryland (2001)
- PhD, University of Maryland (1999)
- BS, Dickinson College (1992)
Specialties and Services
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Md., MD
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Md., PhD
Pediatrics, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa.
Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa.
Pediatrics: American Board of Pediatrics
Pediatric Hematology-Oncology: American Board of Pediatrics
Non-coding RNA and neuroblastoma
As a pediatric oncologist, I am a member of the multi-disciplinary neuro-oncology team who cares for children with brain and spinal cord tumors. The patient and family are the central members of this team and depending on the unique needs of each child may include a pediatric neuro-radiologist, neurosurgeon, radiation oncologist, social worker, neuro-psychologist, neuro-ophthalmologist and endocrinologist. Our goal is to provide a comprehensive, coordinated plan of care that is based on the best medical evidence available.
We know that while many children are cured of their cancers, there will be some children who are not cured, despite very intense therapy. These children provide the inspiration for the work in my laboratory, which focuses on identifying genes, and hence proteins, that pediatric cancer cells rely upon for growth and survival. Using the aggressive pediatric cancer neuroblastoma as a model, we have found that depleting the CHK1 gene from cells, by genetic means or by a drug, cause the cancer cells stop growing and die. We hope that by taking this approach in combination with chemotherapy, we can eventually offer a new therapy for children with neuroblastoma and other aggressive pediatric cancers.
I believe it is a great privilege to be involved in the care of our patient and their families. They deserve kindness and compassion. Together, with the advantages of the multidisciplinary team, CHOP provides an excellent place for a child to be cared for with a pediatric brain or spinal cord tumor.
- Khanna Anchit, Kauko Otto, Bockelman Camilla, Laine Anni, Schreck Ilona, Partanen Johanna I, Szwajda Agnieszka, Bormann Stefanie, Bilgen Turker, Helenius Merja, Pokharel Yuba R, Pimanda John E, Russel Mike R, Haglund Caj, Cole Kristina A, Klefstrom Juha, Aittokallio Tero, Weiss Carsten, Ristimaki Ari, Visakorpi Tapio, Westermarck Jukka. Chk1 targeting reactivates PP2A tumor suppressor activity in cancer cells.. Cancer research. 2013 Oct.
- Russell Mike R, Levin Kirill, Rader Julieann, Belcastro Lili, Li Yimei, Martinez Daniel, Pawel Bruce, Shumway Stuart D, Maris John M, Cole Kristina A. Combination therapy targeting the chk1 and wee1 kinases shows therapeutic efficacy in neuroblastoma.. Cancer research. Vol 73(2) . 2013 Jan:776-84.
- Pugh Trevor J, Morozova Olena, Attiyeh Edward F, Asgharzadeh Shahab, Wei Jun S, Auclair Daniel, Carter Scott L, Cibulskis Kristian, Hanna Megan, Kiezun Adam, Kim Jaegil, Lawrence Michael S, Lichenstein Lee, McKenna Aaron, Pedamallu Chandra Sekhar, Ramos Alex H, Shefler Erica, Sivachenko Andrey, Sougnez Carrie, Stewart Chip, Ally Adrian, Birol Inanc, Chiu Readman, Corbett Richard D, Hirst Martin, Jackman Shaun D, Kamoh Baljit, Khodabakshi Alireza Hadj, Krzywinski Martin, Lo Allan, Moore Richard A, Mungall Karen L, Qian Jenny, Tam Angela, Thiessen Nina, Zhao Yongjun, Cole Kristina A, Diamond Maura, Diskin Sharon J, Mosse Yael P, Wood Andrew C, Ji Lingyun, Sposto Richard, Badgett Thomas, London Wendy B, Moyer Yvonne, Gastier-Foster Julie M, Smith Malcolm A, Auvil Jaime M Guidry, Gerhard Daniela S, Hogarty Michael D, Jones Steven J M, Lander Eric S, Gabriel Stacey B, Getz Gad, Seeger Robert C, Khan Javed, Marra Marco A, Meyerson Matthew, Maris John M. The genetic landscape of high-risk neuroblastoma.. Nature genetics. 2013 Jan.
- Diskin Sharon J, Capasso Mario, Schnepp Robert W, Cole Kristina A, Attiyeh Edward F, Hou Cuiping, Diamond Maura, Carpenter Erica L, Winter Cynthia, Lee Hanna, Jagannathan Jayanti, Latorre Valeria, Iolascon Achille, Hakonarson Hakon, Devoto Marcella, Maris John M. Common variation at 6q16 within HACE1 and LIN28B influences susceptibility to neuroblastoma.. Nature genetics. Vol 44(10) . 2012 Oct:1126-30.
- Bosse Kristopher R, Diskin Sharon J, Cole Kristina A, Wood Andrew C, Schnepp Robert W, Norris Geoffrey, Nguyen Le B, Jagannathan Jayanti, Laquaglia Michael, Winter Cynthia, Diamond Maura, Hou Cuiping, Attiyeh Edward F, Mosse Yael P, Pineros Vanessa, Dizin Eva, Zhang Yongqiang, Asgharzadeh Shahab, Seeger Robert C, Capasso Mario, Pawel Bruce R, Devoto Marcella, Hakonarson Hakon, Rappaport Eric F, Irminger-Finger Irmgard, Maris John M. Common variation at BARD1 results in the expression of an oncogenic isoform that influences neuroblastoma susceptibility and oncogenicity.. Cancer research. Vol 72(8) . 2012 Apr:2068-78.
- Bresler SC, Wood AC, Haglund EA, Courtright J, Belcastro LT, Plegaria JS, Cole K, Toporovskaya Y, Zhao H, Carpenter EL, Christensen JG, Maris JM, Lemmon MA, Mosse YP.. Differential inhibitor sensitivity of anaplastic lymphoma kinase variants found in neuroblastoma.. Sci Transl Med.. Vol 3(108) . 2011 Nov.
- Nguyen le B, Diskin SJ, Capasso M, Wang K, Diamond MA, Glessner J, Kim C, Attiyeh EF, Mosse YP, Cole K, Iolascon A, Devoto M, Hakonarson H, Li HK, Maris JM.. Phenotype restricted genome-wide association study using a gene-centric approach identifies three low-risk neuroblastoma susceptibility Loci.. PLoS Genet.. Vol 7(3) . 2011 Mar.
- Cole KA, Huggins J, Laquaglia M, Hulderman C, Bosse K, Russel M, Diskin S, Attiyeh EF, Sennett R, Norris G, Laudenslager M, Wood A, Mayes PA, Jagannathan J, Winter C, Mosse YP and Maris JM. RNAi screen of the protein kinome identifies checkpoint kinase 1 (CHK1) as a therapeutic target in neuroblastoma.. Proc Natl Acad Sci.. Vol 108(8) . 2011 Feb:3336-41.
- Wang K, Diskin SJ, Zhang H, Attiyeh EF, Winter C, Hou C, Schnepp RW, Diamond M, Bosse K, Mayes PA, Glessner J, Kim C, Frackelton E, Garris M, Wang Q, Glaberson W, Chiavacci R, Nguyen L, Jagannathan J, Saeki N, Sasaki H, Grant SF, Iolascon A, Mosse YP, Cole KA, Li H, Devoto M, McGrady PW, London WB, Capasso M, Rahman N, Hakonarson H, Maris JM. Integrative genomics identifies LMO1 as a neuroblastoma oncogene.. Nature. Vol 469(7329) . 2011 Jan:216-20.
- Capasso M, Devoto M, Hou C, Asgharzadeh S, Glessner JT, Attiyeh EF, Mosse YP, Kim C, Diskin SJ, Cole KA, Bosse K, Diamond M, Laudenslager M, Winter C, Bradfield JP, Richard H. Scott RH, Jagannathan J, Garris M, McConville C, London WB, Seeger RC,. Grant SF, Li H, Rahman N, Rappaport E, Hakonarson H, and Maris JM. Common variations in BARD1 influence susceptibility to high-risk neuroblastoma.. Nat Genet.. Vol 41(6) . 2009 Jun:718-723.